“Clapham is making sustainability a top priority rather than a trendy buzzword”
– From supply chain management to restructuring its services and internal business operations, Clapham has embedded aspects of sustainability in its corporate DNA –
“Driving innovation through initiating change”
– Clapham has introduced unique policies and mechanisms to collect and analyse all emissions generated in the Scopes 1 – 3 –
“Bridging the gap between global mobility and sustainability”
– Through creating in-house designed and industry specific policies and mechanisms, Clapham was able to combine sustainability and global mobility –
Floods, rising temperatures and droughts are only current examples of the devastating effects of the climate crisis, which, if we do not start to change something today, will become even worse in the future. Although the UN Sustainable Development Goals and upcoming EU regulations build a good foundation for change, it is now up to companies to implement these policies and together make a significant contribution to achieving these climate goals.
While it seems that sustainability has been increasingly becoming a trendy and inflationary used buzzword, we at Clapham have decided to make it a top priority and use it as a welcoming opportunity to adapt our services and business-operations to a more sustainable and exciting future.
Since there is no one-size-fits-all approach to sustainability, together with our employees, we have developed industry specific policies and mechanisms, which perfectly fit the environment we operate in.
As we want to provide excellent services to our clients, making various aspects of sustainability part of every service and business decision, was vital for us in order to continuously achieve real excellence.
While these policies together with adapted services and the calculation of our corporate carbon footprint (Scope 1 – 3) allow us to measure and analyse the environmental impact of our services, we are also capable to report them to our customers. Driving sustainability in our company therefore also means allowing our clients to get an overview of the emissions generated through the services they have commissioned.
In the following tiles you can find more information on how we have integrated sustainability aspects in our company. If you have any further questions or would like to add Clapham to your network of sustainable service providers, please send us an email.
Project Manager Sustainable Development
Internet, Hosting and other Digital Services
Management, Compliance and Standards
In 2022 we have established a new policy, which allows us to embed sustainability in the services that our consultants perform and calculate emissions generated along our supply chain. Our consultants are now obliged to:
- send out information material exclusively digitally or use climate neutral print products.
- offer our clients sustainable providers when registering services like green electricity, sustainable banking, etc. for them.
- consider aspects like heating technologies, insulation and energy standards when choosing housing for our clients, in order to reduce costs and generated emissions.
- Report all trips by car, bus, train (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, Regio, Straßenbahn and ICE) as well as car-sharing services, concerning the related customer, to us. By doing so we are able to account for the emissions generated through our commissioned services.
Starting at the first of January 2022, we are happy to introduce our newly created green procurement policy, which covers the following aspects:
- We will exclusively purchase CO2-neutral and green electricity at all of our business locations (Kriftel and Munich).
- By avoiding single-use plastic and through a strict internal waste separation system, we are contributing to the avoidance of waste and provide a good recycling basis.
- In regard to marketing items and office supplies as well as copying and graphic paper, we will drastically reduce our consumption in the coming years. Since we cannot eliminate these products immediately, we will ensure that all products we purchase from 2022 onwards are recycled, sustainable and if possible co2 neutral.
- In terms of beverages, we have abolished the use of single-use plastic and only provide water in glass bottles as well as other beverages in recyclable refundable deposit bottle systems for our employees.
- We also only use sustainable, biodegradable and CO2 neutral cleaning and sanitary products that are eco-certified and subject to the latest environmental guidelines in all our facilities.
In 2022 we have created a mobility policy, which:
- expressly prohibits air travel within Germany.
- promotes the use of public transport and car sharing services.
- encourages our employees and consultants to consider environmental, financial, social and time-efficient aspects, when planning their trips, to improve sustainability.
- gives our employees and consultants valuable tips and guidance on how to reduce the need to travel, improve efficiency and reduce emissions.
- introduces a unique reporting system, that allows us to collect and analyse data on travel activity by car/car-sharing, bus, motorcycle and train. This enables us to record, report and analyse all emissions emitted by the travel activities of our employees and consultants along our supply chain (Scope 3).
Internet, Hosting and other Digital Services
- As we as a service provider mainly communicates digitally with our clients, it was a top priority for us to switch our entire information and communication infrastructure to sustainable and carbon neutral services and providers.
- With the release of our new website in October 2021 as well as with the transfer of our email system to a new provider, the complete internet access, hosting of our website and email accounts as well as all other digital and telecommunication services are now completely carbon neutral and powered by sustainable and green energy.
- In addition, all our software and data management systems are outsourced, climate neutrally hosted and ISO 27001 certified.
Management, Compliance and Standards
- From supply-chain-management and the management of our employees, to restructuring our services and internal business operations, we have embedded aspects of sustainability in our corporate DNA.
- This was possible through redesigning our services, as well as service descriptions for our freelancers, our procurement process, our mobility policies as well as all internal business operation and management processes. Together, these changes provide the solid foundation for our ESG and CSR commitment.
- To analyse and review the effectiveness of our policies and new reporting-systems, we have defined and included KPI´s for sustainability in our management report.
- As we want to provide our clients and customers with detailed information on the effectiveness of our policies and systems, as well as on our ESG and CSR commitments, starting in 2022, we will publish a yearly sustainability report.
Storing our company’s emission data on the blockchain allows us to save it on a decentralised and permanent storage system. Once uploaded, the file cannot be edited and is tagged with the upload date. This prevents us from, for example, altering this data in the future. Storing our data permanently not only allows us to achieve the highest level of data transparency and accessibility, but also has a symbolic meaning for us. Many of the greenhouse gases we emit remain in the atmosphere for tens to hundreds of years. Their contribution to climate change persists over a long period of time and can therefore affect both present and future generations. By permanently storing our emission data, it becomes accessible to future generations and we thus stand permanently by our contribution to global warming. In this way, we create transparency and openly acknowledge our emissions and the associated impacts.
By clicking on one of the buttons below, you will be redirected to the Blockchain portal, where you can access our detailed Corporate Carbon Footprint, covering Scopes 1 – 3.1 of the respective year.
Tackling sustainable development one step at a time
Clapham commits to publishing an annual sustainability report describing and analysing the current CO2 reduction measures. Furthermore, future possibilities for CO2 offsetting will be examined.
In the future, we have set ourselves the task of continually reducing our emissions and adapting our guidelines and mechanisms to the latest developments.